Computer Mediated Installations Course
(September arduino workshop)
Interactive Video Installation
A model will be filmed taking his clothes off.
This video will be used as the base of the video installation. It will "react" according to how close to the sensor the spetactor (or the spectators) is. The sensor will be placed where the video will be projected.
The stand-by mode of the video is going to be a loop video of the model standing with his clothes on. When the spectator comes closer to the video the model will start taking his clothes off. If they stop coming closer, then the video will go on reverse mode so that the model will be putting his clothes on again. There is going to be a small pause between those two states so that the video seems natural. If the spectator goes even closer (a distance will be defined) then the model will be taking off all of his clothes and will stand naked. When the spactator goes away then the video will go on reverse mode and the model will put his clothes back on and come back to stand by mode.
Interactive Video Installation
A video projected at the end of a corridor is controlled by the distance between viewer and projection.
Distance, time and space are main aspects in this installation where the viewer, disconnected from any other light and sound sources, is just given the time to think.
Notes on realization:
1) Filming ✔
- The video will be recorded (in blackbox) with a black background ✔
- The model will look directly into the camera so that when the video is projected it will look as if the model is looking you directly in your eyes, which is engaging ✔
3) Equipment setup
4) Installation setup & projection
- The video is best to be projected at the end of a corridor so that we can control the installation better, ensure the darkness of the space and be able to narrow down the amount of people entering simultaneusly.
- The video is going to be projected on a black wall so that it seems more realistic.
- The projected video size is going to be slightly bigger than the physical size so that it becomes engaging.
- The video is going to be shot vertically and projected vertically to achieve the best quality possible.
- A model for the video willing to be fimled naked: (filmed 2 - male and female) ✔
a. Mailed email@example.com (Hans - Owe Rydberg) ✔
b. Ask at the performance october block course (from october 6 to october 10) ✘
c. Ask at the theater school ✘
- High Definition Video Camera (booked from 2008-10-10 to 2008-10-17) ✔
- Blank HDV tape ✔
- Manfroto tripod ✔
- BlackBox for shooting (booked from 2008-10-07 to 2008-10-14) ✔
- High Definition Projector ✔
- Distance sensor (or multiple simple on/off sensors to be put in a row in the corridor if the distance sensor doesn't work as expected or if it is too expensive)
- Black Paint (for the walls) and black cloth for the entrance
- Distance sensors may work in a more linear way or speed of spectator might be a problem we should check
- we might consider using multiple "on/off" sensors (laser with light sensors - max 6) in a raw (very cheap or easy solution)
- or try the video tracking method
- More than one people entering the room would result multiple inputs so the code must be really precise
- If someone is standing in front of the video others behind (mayby far behind) can see what happens so the installation will not work properly
- making the corridor narrower so that you will have to go closer (say 1.5 meters max)
- Male or Female version is better? Both?
Project Presentation (c:art:media meeting)
- Project Description: photos, sketch, detailed description & tools we are going to use
- Highlights (what is important in the project and the thing we will focus on)
- What are we trying to achieve (why are we doing it the way we are doing it)
- Why do we code